Stagecoach Pet Hospital Blog
Trixie, a 4 year old spayed yorkie presented to Stagecoach Pet Hospital for diarrhea, lethargy, and decreased appetite. No changes in food or treats. Trixie does not go hiking or swimming. She is up to date on vaccinations.
Trixie has a normal body temperature, heart rate, and respiratory rate. Her gums in her mouth are not moist as they should be. Her belly does not palpate painful. Rectal exam revealed bloody diarrhea.
Fecal exam- No intestinal worms found.
Bloodwork- Severe dehydration was confirmed.
X-rays- No significant findings.
Trixie was diagnosed with Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE.
What is HGE?
This condition basically means inflammation of the stomach and intestines with bleeding. Vomiting can also be part of the syndrome. The cause of HGE can be from a number of issues including viruses, diet changes, or an infection of the gi tract with Clostridium perfringens type A.
Treatment for Trixie:
Treatment is based on fluid therapy and medications to protect the gi tract. Trixie had an iv catheter placed and was given several medications intravenously. She was also placed on a fluid drip for 24 hours. After just 10 hours in hospital, Trixie dramatically improved. She was discharged home after one night of hospitalization and supportive care.
We are so happy Trixie is back to normal!
If you have noticed these symptoms in your pet, be sure to give us a call.
Heartworm can have devastating consequences for your pet, including death. It is especially tragic when dogs and cats succumb to heartworm disease when it’s entirely preventable. Now that warm weather is finally here, your dog or cat has a much greater likelihood of acquiring heartworm just by being outside since the most common route of transmission is a bite from an infected mosquito.
Chloe, a 12 year old female golden retriever presented to Stagecoach Pet Hospital for lethargy and appetite loss. Chloe was in heat about 4 weeks prior to presentation. On examination, Chloe had a high fever and very painful belly when touched.
It can be scary when your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance, especially when you didn’t see what he licked or swallowed. To help raise awareness of the issue and prevent illness or fatality in pets, the American Veterinary Medical Association named the third week in March Pet Poison Prevention Week. Below are some hazards you should be especially aware of this time of year.