Stagecoach Pet Hospital Blog
Bella, a 12 month old female spayed hound mix presented to SPH for loose stool and gurgling sounds from her stomach. Bella’s mom adopted her over a month ago and her stools have not been normal since adoption. Bella is on a high quality dog food and has no history of eating table food.
Bella has a normal body temperature, heart rate, and respiration. She is hydrated and very active. Her belly did not seem painful when palpated.
Fecal examination revealed both hookworms and whipworms!
This is a whipworm egg under the microscope.
Hookworms and whipworms are intestinal parasites that can cause severe diarrhea, failure to thrive, weight loss, vomiting, and even death.
Hookworms are zoonotic. This means that humans can contract this parasite from their pets! Hookworms cause cutaneous larval migrans in people. Running barefoot through the park may seem pleasant but if the soil is contaminated with canine fecal matter, the eager infective larvae may be waiting to penetrate your skin! Be sure to take precautions.
Bella was immediately given a course of deworming medicine and is on her way to clearing the parasites from her system! Her mom is sure to wash her hands thoroughly after picking up Bella’s fecal matter from the yard.
If you suspect your pet has intestinal worms, please schedule an appointment asap!
Heartworm can have devastating consequences for your pet, including death. It is especially tragic when dogs and cats succumb to heartworm disease when it’s entirely preventable. Now that warm weather is finally here, your dog or cat has a much greater likelihood of acquiring heartworm just by being outside since the most common route of transmission is a bite from an infected mosquito.
Chloe, a 12 year old female golden retriever presented to Stagecoach Pet Hospital for lethargy and appetite loss. Chloe was in heat about 4 weeks prior to presentation. On examination, Chloe had a high fever and very painful belly when touched.
It can be scary when your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance, especially when you didn’t see what he licked or swallowed. To help raise awareness of the issue and prevent illness or fatality in pets, the American Veterinary Medical Association named the third week in March Pet Poison Prevention Week. Below are some hazards you should be especially aware of this time of year.