Stagecoach Pet Hospital Blog
Shadow, a 6 year old male neutered domestic shorthair cat presented to SPH for trouble swallowing. Shadow is not acting himself and not eating normally. A new kitten was introduced into the home in the last 2 months.
On exam, Shadow has a normal heart rate and respiratory rate. Several oral ulcers were found on the back of the tongue. No foreign objects were found in the mouth. He had clear nasal discharge.
Shadow was diagnosed with feline rhinotracheitis. Feline upper respiratory infections are highly contagious. The most common infectious agents are herpesvirus and calicivirus.
Shadow was placed on i.v. fluids, pain medications, and antibiotics to treat secondary infections. He had a humidifier therapy performed and every 4 hours had all nasal and ocular secretions cleaned with a warm washcloth. After 24 hours in the ICU, Shadow began to feel much better. He was discharged home 48 hours later with pain medication and antibiotics.
Shadow is now home and doing great! Be sure to keep your feline pets up to date on their respiratory vaccines!
Heartworm can have devastating consequences for your pet, including death. It is especially tragic when dogs and cats succumb to heartworm disease when it’s entirely preventable. Now that warm weather is finally here, your dog or cat has a much greater likelihood of acquiring heartworm just by being outside since the most common route of transmission is a bite from an infected mosquito.
Chloe, a 12 year old female golden retriever presented to Stagecoach Pet Hospital for lethargy and appetite loss. Chloe was in heat about 4 weeks prior to presentation. On examination, Chloe had a high fever and very painful belly when touched.
It can be scary when your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance, especially when you didn’t see what he licked or swallowed. To help raise awareness of the issue and prevent illness or fatality in pets, the American Veterinary Medical Association named the third week in March Pet Poison Prevention Week. Below are some hazards you should be especially aware of this time of year.