Stagecoach Pet Hospital Blog
Brandy, a 6 year old female spayed Chihuahua presented to Stagecoach Pet Hospital for examination of several bruises on her belly. Brandy is eating and drinking well.
Brandy has a normal heartrate, respiratory rate, and body temperature. Several areas of bruising are noted on her abdomen. Brandy also has petechial (small red lesions) on her gumline in her mouth.
Brandy had several blood tests performed. The complete blood count showed that Brandy had a very low platelet count.
After ruling out several other conditions, Brandy was diagnosed with Immune mediated thrombocytopenia or IMTP.
What is IMTP?
Essentially, IMTP is when the body mistakes the platelets as invaders. The platelets ( assist in the clotting of blood) are destroyed at a rapid rate.
Brandy had an intravenous catheter placed and was begun on several medications to suppress the immune system and stop her body from destroying the very important platelets.
After 5 days of treatment, Brandy’s platelet numbers finally improved and the bruising subsided.
Brandy was discharged home and is on a therapeutic dose of two immunosuppressive medications to keep her healthy and stable.
Heartworm can have devastating consequences for your pet, including death. It is especially tragic when dogs and cats succumb to heartworm disease when it’s entirely preventable. Now that warm weather is finally here, your dog or cat has a much greater likelihood of acquiring heartworm just by being outside since the most common route of transmission is a bite from an infected mosquito.
Chloe, a 12 year old female golden retriever presented to Stagecoach Pet Hospital for lethargy and appetite loss. Chloe was in heat about 4 weeks prior to presentation. On examination, Chloe had a high fever and very painful belly when touched.
It can be scary when your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance, especially when you didn’t see what he licked or swallowed. To help raise awareness of the issue and prevent illness or fatality in pets, the American Veterinary Medical Association named the third week in March Pet Poison Prevention Week. Below are some hazards you should be especially aware of this time of year.